It is crucial that every component in a fire sprinkler system performs as intended. This is why all major building and plumbing codes have strict requirements for products to be tested by an independent third party to ensure they meet industry-accepted standards.
Trusted by the regulatory community for over 70 years, NSF International is a fully accredited organization that provides fire safety testing and certification to industry standards to verify product safety and quality.
We are authorized to test a wide variety of fire safety components including:
- Fire sprinkler pipe and fittings — UL 1821, ULc ORD C199P
- PVC fire service main pipe and fittings — UL 1285, ULc ORD C1285
- Smoke and flame ratings — ASTM E84, ULc S102, ULcS102.2
Benefits of Certification
NSF tests and certifies a variety of residential fire safety components, including fire sprinkler pipe, fittings, couplings, gaskets and more, to comply with all local, regional and national codes.
For manufacturers and public health officials, NSF certification benefits include:
- NSF mark recognition, faster market access and expedited regulatory acceptance
- Third-party confirmation, reducing potential liability issues
- Ongoing support related to technical development and regulatory requirements
- Online listings of product certification, including product type, product trade name, manufacturer name and location
NSF International has the qualifications and reputation to help your business meet the needs of the market and get the recognition and acceptance that is critical to your company’s success.
Why Work With NSF?
Well respected by regulatory and code officials for over 70 years, NSF is a recognized, accredited and accepted listing agency for fire safety testing and certification as defined in building, residential, mechanical, electrical and fire codes. NSF, a designated Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, is accredited by the International Accreditation Service (IAS), Standards Council of Canada (SCC) and American National Standard Institute (ANSI).
The NSF mark, well respected by public health officials, retailers and consumers, is recognized as a symbol of product quality and integrity. Our responsive personalized service quickly guides your products through the certification process, ensuring that they get to market on time and on budget. We offer bracketing services wherever possible to help keep costs down, and provide the pricing up front so there are no hidden surprises down the road.
While our product evaluations are thorough, our process is simple and efficient. A dedicated NSF project manager serves as your single point of contact from application to approval for a streamlined, efficient certification process.
1. Your company submits an application.
2. Your company and suppliers provide formulation, design specifications and product end use information.
3. We review formulation and engineering specifications.
4. We perform a plant audit and sample collection.
5. We conduct laboratory testing.
6. We grant certification to compliant products.
7. Our follow-up program includes unannounced inspections and annual testing.
Our experts can help you reduce your overall costs and expedite your time to market by bundling services and reducing the number of contracted service providers and facility audits.