Food fraud -- the deliberate adulteration, substitution, tampering or misrepresentation of food -- has increased in significance as a result of our complex global food supply chain and costs the food industry an estimated $49 billion worldwide each year.
In recent years, high profile and international fraud scandals have harmed and even killed many innocent people. In anticipation of this growing fraud problem, NSF International has mobilized its considerable consulting, testing, auditing and training resources to develop solutions that can combat the potential risk of fraud in the food supply chain.
Food safety experts at NSF International agree with many of Professor Chris Elliott's recommendations for combating food fraud. Professor Elliott was commissioned by the UK government to conduct a thorough review in the wake of the 2013 UK horsemeat food fraud scandal. In the Elliott Review into the Integrity and Assurance of Food Supply Networks – Final Report, his recommendations seek to:
- Create a culture within food businesses that focuses on depriving those who seek to deceive consumers
- Develop a food supply system that is much more difficult for criminals to operate in
- Make more robust the role that government and specifically the FSA (UK Food Standards Agency) play in partnering industry efforts in these areas
NSF International, with 70 years of food safety and quality expertise, offers an integrated package of strategic and tactical services and resources to help companies around the world combat the risk of food fraud.
For more information, contact Dan Fone, Global Business Development Director, NSF International Food Division, at email@example.com or +86 21 52377700.
NSF International offers an integrated holistic solution to help businesses combat the risk of food fraud in their supply chains. We recognize that food fraud is not just a food safety issue for technical and quality functions; it is a complex commercial and supply chain issue. Our solution seeks to understand the potential opportunities for fraud within your company and supply chain; addresses your vulnerabilities in terms of your commercial drivers, buying behaviors, performance measures and company culture; and then puts in place supply chain controls and management.
Our seven-step fraud awareness, detection and prevention process combines expert consulting with our proprietary models and analytical tools, science- and sector-based expertise, laboratory testing facilities, and analytical, auditing and certification services.
Specific NSF resources available to help address the risk of food fraud effectively in your business include:
- Market intelligence, horizon scanning and data gathering services to identify current and upcoming fraud risks and map these against your own products, ingredients and supply sources.
- Expert and specialist consulting resources using proprietary models and analytical tools, which have been developed by NSF International in partnership with global experts including scientists, senior academics, crime and forensic accounting experts and industry practitioners, to identify and prioritize your product, people and policy risks. This includes our Food Fraud Risk Assessment Model.
- Comprehensive training packages to raise awareness of fraud (and where it may arise in your organization), correct staff behaviors and improve liaison between buying, technical and operational departments.
- Supplier selection, audit and performance monitoring with Web-based reporting through NSF Online. We have developed a specialist NSF Integrity and Traceability Audit which is a detailed deep dive into the traceability and integrity of the products supplied.
- Product integrity and traceability services, including specifications development, documentation and design of appropriate testing programs.
- World-class laboratory testing facilities.
- Globally recognized certification programs, including GFSI.
Whether you need assistance preventing food fraud or are in the midst of a fraud-related situation, NSF is the trusted organization you’ll want at your side.
Why Work With NSF?
NSF International has over 70 years’ consulting, technical, scientific and testing expertise in food safety. Our global resources include a comprehensive network of food safety auditors, world-class laboratories and technical experts. We are working with food safety experts, scientists, academics and regulatory agencies to help further define the food fraud problem and provide best practices and controls to help safeguard against it. We have excellent cooperative relationships with both industry and government and have worked on behalf of the UK FSA to develop a food fraud assessment model.
These global resources and partners mean that NSF is well positioned to facilitate the required intelligence sharing and cross-border solutions development. Government, industry and even consumers will need to work more collaboratively, while protecting commercial advantage, to combat food fraud. As a global independent organization and leading food safety service provider operating in more than 150 countries, NSF International takes this role very seriously and has been working to provide a host of innovative and advanced food fraud solutions.