NSF maintains and led the development of NSF/ANSI 173, the only accredited national standard for testing and certifying dietary supplements.
With knowledgeable staff and testing laboratories in China, the U.S. and Europe, we have the expertise to evaluate the composition of dietary supplements and ingredients, including:
- Amino acids
- Sports supplements
- Concentrates, metabolites, constituents and extracts
We recognize that each sample is unique and apply customized laboratory solutions and relevant, scientifically valid test methods. We assess methods and performance against quality control criteria including an evaluation of recovery from the sample. If a method does not meet the quality control criteria, we optimize it for the particular sample type.
We can also evaluate labels or material specifications to select the tests to perform, assuring that your products and ingredients meet the necessary safety and quality requirements.
Our extensive array of instrumentation and technologies, along with a professional staff of chemists, microbiologists and toxicologists, can solve even the most complex supplement testing issues. Our testing labs feature:
- Microwave digestion
- Triple Quad LC-MS
- Triple Quad GC-MS
- Extensive environmental control
NSF's testing laboratory in Shanghai complements our certification services in China while providing a means to source safer products, raw materials and ingredients from Asia through independent, third-party testing and certification.
For more information about NSF's dietary supplement testing services, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +86 21 52377700.
Benefits of Certification
In certifying a dietary supplement or raw ingredient with NSF, you are:
- Verifying the identity and quantity of dietary ingredients declared on your product label
- Ensuring your product does not contain unacceptable levels of contaminants
- Demonstrating conformance to currently recommended industry GMPs for dietary supplements
Unlike other supplement certification programs, we conduct annual audits and periodically retest each dietary supplement product to ensure continued compliance against the toughest testing standard in existence today.
Why Work With NSF?
NSF International is the only accredited certifier of dietary supplements, functional foods and dietary supplement raw ingredients. By choosing NSF to become your certifier, you:
- Ensure ingredients are processed to FDA’s 21 CFR part 111
- Reduce costs by decreasing the number of customer audits conducted at your facility, which frees up the time of your quality staff and increases productivity
- Prequalify your company to new business
- Build customer confidence by demonstrating the quality of your ingredients through thorough testing
- Gain assurance that your certified ingredients do not contain unacceptable levels of contaminants such as heavy metals, microbiological contaminants, pesticides, herbicides and mycotoxins
- Demonstrate your dedication to quality and differentiate your company from the competition
Supplements Testing Process
Five Steps to Dietary Supplements Certification
1. Application including:
- Ingredient suppliers information
- Manufacturing facilities information
2. Toxicology review
- Label and formulation review and comparison
- Ingredient review
- Determination of product testing
3. Facility inspection
- Good manufacturing practices (GMP) audits of production facilities and review that no banned substances are stored or manufactured at the facility
- Observations of in-house laboratories
- Sourcing and traceability procedures
- Schedule of ingredient supplier audits based on number of suppliers
4. Annual laboratory testing/analysis
- Heavy metals
- Label content verification
- Banned substances testing based on number of lots
5. Product certification/listing
- Monitoring of control formulation/ingredient supplier changes
- Marketplace sampling