The NSF Certified for Sport® program was created to meet the growing demands of athletes, coaches and all those concerned about banned substances in sports supplements. The program certifies that what is on the label is in the bottle and that the product does not contain unsafe levels of contaminants, prohibited substances and masking agents.
Our scientists screen sports supplements for more than 265 banned or prohibited substances including:
- Related substances along with diuretics and other masking agents
We also monitor prohibitive lists of substances, such as NSF Annex B, NFL and MLB, on an ongoing basis.
Certification also means that supplement manufacturers and their suppliers have met our stringent independent certification process. The guidelines were developed through a consensus process involving regulatory, sports industry and consumer groups.
For more information about NSF Certified for Sport®, email email@example.com or call +86 21 52377700.
Benefits of Certification
NSF Certified for Sport® helps athletes, coaches and trainers make more informed decisions when choosing sports supplements. The program is recognized by the NFL, NFL Players Association, MLB, MLB Players Association, PGA, LPGA and Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sports.
The NSF certification mark on your products helps athletes of all levels buy your supplements with confidence. Certified supplements must meet rigorous standards that include comprehensive lab testing and extensive evaluation of the manufacturing process to ensure contaminated substances or hidden ingredients are not added to a product.
The program helps your company:
- Protect against adulteration of products
- Verify label claims against product contents
- Identify athletic banned substances in the finished product or ingredients
You also receive an extensive range of co-marketing services to support your newly certified products. We:
- List your products on www.nsfsport.com and in the NSF Certified for Sport® app
- Guide you on using the NSF mark on product labels, advertising and other promotional and marketing collateral
- Offer communications expertise to assist in the development of press releases and educational materials
Why Work With NSF?
NSF helps your company establish credibility and provides you with state-of-the-art laboratory testing.
NSF Certified for Sport® builds on our expertise in dietary supplements and functional foods. We maintain and led the development of the only accredited American National Standard to certify dietary supplements, NSF/ANSI 173.
Our scientists and expert lab team help you establish product stewardship by confirming content, purity and compliance, and by assessing public safety and environmental concerns on products. We conduct routine analyses in an ISO 17025-certified lab according to U.S. FDA standard methods, AOAC official methods, USP monographs and more for:
- Organic and inorganic analyses
- Ingredient confirmation
- Contaminant analysis
- Heavy metals
- Pesticide residues
- Processing impurities
- Unknown mixtures
We continually invest in the latest technologies and have analytical instrumentation including GC, GC/MS, GFAA, ICP, ICP/MS, LC/MS, HPLC, hi-res GCMS, TOC and IC. Our dedicated staff of highly skilled professionals in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, environmental chemistry, food and plant science and nutrition provides thorough testing and accurate results to meet today's public health and safety needs.
Five Steps to NSF Certified for Sport® Certification
1. Application including:
- Ingredient suppliers information
- Manufacturing facilities information
2. Toxicology review
- Label and formulation review and comparison
- Ingredient review
- Determination of product testing
3. Facility inspection
- Good manufacturing practices (GMP) audits of production facilities and review that no banned substances are stored or manufactured at the facility
- Observations of in-house laboratories
- Sourcing and traceability procedures
- Schedule of ingredient supplier audits based on number of suppliers
4. Annual laboratory testing/analysis
- Heavy metals
- Label content verification
- Banned substances testing based on number of lots
5. Product certification/listing
- Monitoring of control formulation/ingredient supplier changes
- Marketplace sampling